In 2009 Dennis lost his full time job. Unable to find steady employment Dennis ended up living on the streets. He spent his days selling the Denver Voice and his…Continue reading
Bridge House is seeking a full time Kitchen Assistant/Cook.
It is the role of the Kitchen Assistant /Cook to assist in Bridge House meal production and
kitchen operations including maintaining a safe, clean and efficient kitchen. This position
requires constant interactions with many kinds of people; strong communication skills and the
enjoyment of working with people from all walks of life are necessary to execute all the tasks
The Kitchen Assistant/Cook reports to the Director of Nutrition and Kitchen Initiatives in the
production and on the road delivery of meals – using fresh meats, vegetables and grains – for the
Bridge House’s low income and homeless clients.
The Kitchen Assistant/Cook helps supervise and support both client trainees for Bridge House’s
Ready to Work program, and kitchen volunteers, to produce over 100,000 meals annually. This
position responds to growth and change in nutritional goals, food preparation, client training
and food service social enterprise within the Bridge House’s dynamic organization.
DUTIES MAY INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, THE FOLLOWING:
• Executing high volume meal production, and supporting of trainees and volunteers in
prep and cooking tasks in a fast paced kitchen
• Carrying out complex food cooling processes in adherence to food safety regulations
and to insure safe meal storage
• Daily delivery of meals to three downtown satellite kitchens
• Picking up donated food at restaurants and food manufacturers
• Receiving, rotating and stocking over 3,000 lb food delivery from Community Food Share
and commercial food vendors with assistance from trainees and volunteers
• In the case of illness, vacation, or other time needs of Director, the Kitchen Assistant
creates menu plans, and supervises volunteers and trainees to produce five lunches and
five dinners weekly – serving 100 individuals at each meal
• Maintaining knowledge of health and safety regulations and nutrition standards and
required postings to ensure compliance by staff, volunteers, and clients
• Supervising and executing of weekly organization and cleaning of refrigerator, freezer
and dry storage areas
• Identifies potential safety hazards and handles issue or reports immediately to Director
• Immediately alerts Director in the case of injury or other critical need of trainees and
• Communicates kitchen repair issues to Director
Hours: 40 hrs per week: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Earlier and later start
and end times will also be required
• Cooking and commercial kitchen organization experience
• Food safe handling knowledge, and possession of or ability to obtain, handling
• Experience with homelessness, mental illness and substance abuse strongly desired
• Must have an ability to communicate effectively with those who may be difficult and
• Flexible, team player, sense of humor, excellent communication skills, and love of
working with people
• Ability to stand, walk, kneel, crouch, squat, stoop, reach, twist, and frequently lift up to
50 pounds and push/pull 200 lbs
• Ability to stand for long period of time and to work in hot and cold conditions
• Ability to supervise and support both skilled and unskilled client interns and volunteers
• Able to exercise sound judgment and assist with emergencies in a calm and effective
• Adapt to change and non-routine situations with minimal stress; prioritize tasks to
achieve the most effective outcome; and seek supervision as needed
• Resourcefulness and creativity for meal planning utilizing donated foods
• Proficient computer skills or willingness to master (Internet, email, MS Office )
• Good driving record and possession of or ability to obtain current driver’s license
If interested, please submit resume and cover letter via email to Shari at
Applications will be accepted until May 3, 2013.
Bridge House is seeking a full time Greeter starting immediately.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Client Interaction and Services
• Count clients that enter into Bridge House and enter count into database.
• Maintain case management list, shower list or lists for any other special activities.
• Sort, file and distribute mail and fill out check log when checks are given out.
• Maintain and distribute clients’ phone messages and staff messages.
• Collect money for Denver Voice and distribute papers to approved vendors.
• Assist with case management as asked.
• Provide information on and refer individuals to public or private agencies and community
services for assistance.
• Develop rapport with clients and welcome them to Bridge House.
• Explain rules of Bridge House.
• Monitor outside of building and alleyway for rule infraction.
• Consult with supervisor regarding any unsafe situations, defuse conflicts as possible.
• Monitor client interactions inside the building.
• Clean playground.
• Maintain police log.
• Maintain incident report log.
Facility and Supplies
• Prepare shower room in morning.
• Distribute hygiene supplies and monitor/communicate need of restocking.
• Supervise and assist with afternoon clean up.
• Assist in kitchen as needed.
• Wash towels at end of day.
• Provide support to Bridge House volunteers.
• Set-up cold breakfast for clients.
• Greet clients, volunteers, donors and service providers as they enter Bridge House and provide
information as needed.
• Maintain in-kind donation log.
• Prefer B.A., high school graduate acceptable.
• Experience with mental illness, substance abuse and/or homelessness highly preferred.
• Ability and willingness to de-escalate and dissolve difficult situations with clients.
If interested, please submit resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until May 3, 2013.